Yesterday I had my final presentation. overall, I can say that it went well. I tried to give as much information as possible in order to make sure that I have included everything that was required. I also tried to stick closely to the mark scheme and follow all assessment criteria. I think that I was able to present to my tutors my product (magazine) professionally. The fact that there were no questions from my tutors, proves that my presentation was clear enough to them.
Have my objectives been met?
Overall, I am happy with my final product. I met my aim and all my objectives. I created a high quality online photography magazine for the specific target audience.
What problems have I encountered?
The most difficult thing for me was to decide what I really want to do for my final project, and what I can potentially do with what I have ( budget, knowledge, experience, equipment, time). Speaking about time management, at the moment 99% of work done. I only need to tick the final stages of the project, such as ” to upload the Gantt chart to X-stream”. The overall “cost” of my project is 2 588,02 pounds. That includes my “salary”, which is 6, 31 p. per hour, it also “includes” all travel expenses and total costs of all props, which I have used for the photo shoots.
In average, I used 30% of my time on this project. Here is evidence that I have set baseline every week. That enabled me to track my progress. Nevertheless, as you can see from the screen shot below, almost in every phase there was a slippage. That means that in order to complete some of my tasks I needed much more time than I was initially planning. Firstly, that happened because I didn’t think over some very important details at the very beginning. Secondly, there were some moments when I needed to rearrange some of my tasks. Also, I wasn’t able to update my project plan when I was on holidays. And, finally, the fact that the deadline for the final presentation has been changed also caused some delays.
The most critical phases of my project, could potentially affect the project finish date. Fortunately, my project plan initially assumed that the final date for the presentation would the 5th of May. So, the fact that this presentation has been changed, didn’t affect the finish date. My mistake was that I have allocated myself a lot work to do during holidays, and in fact I wasn’t able to do everything that I was planning due to the personal reasons. That experience helped me to understand the importance of doing each task in time in order to avoid any delays.
What have I learned ?
My personal goal was to improve my photography, design and photo editing skills during this project. I can say that I have definitely improved all these skills. Particularly, I learned all important basics in Photoshop and some complicated techniques, such as working with layer mask and many others. I improved some very necessary skills for my future career or job, such as planning, problem solving, organisational and personal development skills. I also used my knowledge, which I have learned during this semester, when my group was designing posters for the exhibition. Three years ago, I knew nothing about Photoshop, DSLR camera and graphic design, but now I think there is a huge progress in this field.
What would I do differently
This project is very personal, but I think that it would be better to include someone else’s photographs as well in order to diverse the content of my magazine and make it more professional. As for me, it looks a bit ridiculous, because there is only my name everywhere as I am the only author of the photographs. Nevertheless, as I have mentioned before, it is a special edition and this issue is like a promo of the future “product”. Also, if I had a chance to do this project again, I would use more professional macro lens for one of my photo shoot, because I am not happy with the quality of the lens, which I used. Generally speaking, I am pleased with this module. It was a chance for my to do what I really want to improve and to practise in future.